Volcanic hazard map visualisation affects cognition and crisis decision-making
• Volcanic hazard map style affects visual attention, cognition, and decision-making.
• Simple tasks help guide attention to hazard maps at early, uncertain event stages.
• High risk perception is associated with limited visual attention to hazard maps.
• Integrated hazard visualisations engage early attention and high-level processing.
• Discrete hazard footprints encourage deliberative processing and correct inferences.