EFDRR 2021 European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction | 24-26 November 2021 | Matosinhos Portugal
EFDRR 2020 EUROPEAN FORUM FOR DISASTER RISK REDUCTION
update: 24-26 November 2021
The European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction (EFDRR) forms the regional platform structure of Europe. The triennial EFDRR has established itself as an important vehicle to address the regional disaster risk challenges. It serves as a forum for other stakeholders to take a shared responsibility and make actionable commitments to reduce disaster risk. The conference, true to the multi-stakeholder spirit of the Sendai Framework, enables governments and stakeholders to exchange experiences on successful practices and innovative approaches to prevent, reduce and manage disaster risk. This results in forward looking action plans based on a mutual sharing status of DRR implementation.
The EFDRR has been instrumental in tackling new areas such as sustainable finance as well as creating innovative ways to address challenges, including for example peer review processes and stress testing systems. The EFDRR secretariat, chaired by UNDRR, the European Commission and the Council of Europe facilitates stronger collaboration and coherence across the partners.
The outcomes of EFDRR forum are included in the United Nations Secretary General’s report to the General Assembly, in the deliberations at the High Level Political Forum in New York and at the Global Platform on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Good practices and knowledge on disaster risk-informed policies, programmes and investments are shared, with a particular focus on lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic and the following recovery;
- Partnerships are forged for increased disaster resilience;
- Progress is assessed in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for DRR in the region.
- The integration of disaster risk management in relevant sectors, particularly the health sector, is promoted for longer term resilience;
- Contributions to the follow-up processes of United Nations conferences and summits are made.
- Establish a common understanding of the common challenges and immediate threats in Europe
- Agree on a joint future vision of a disaster resilient European and Central Asian region in 2030
- Adoption of the 2021-2030 EFDRR RoadMap